July 20, 2008

"A" is for Apple



I have decided to post some of my attempts at oil painting. Watercolors are generally painted from lightest value to darkest; oils are usually developed just the opposite... dark values to light, the highlight being the last icing on the cake. After painting solely with watercolors, this was an awkward switch for me. As you notice, I did not paint a person! I thought an apple would be a good starting place.

I will post some more oils this week. Maybe a pear!

2 comments:

Susan Carlin said...

Marilyn, this is just beautiful. I always say I wouldn't attempt to paint in watercolor because you have think backwards. It never occurred to me that oils would be backward to a watercolorist! Looks like you're crossing the bridge with flair!

Sharon said...

Nothing should make you nervous in the arena of painting ... your artwork is always beautiful. This apple looks so real that I wanted to take a bite. Think I'll go visit the fridge and see if I can find this piece of fruit sitting in there looking back so I can snack!