November 23, 2008

Shepherd of the Hills Prayer Garden






In 2004 I was commissioned to paint a watercolor rendering of the proposed prayer garden/columbarium to be constructed at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Fountain Hills, Arizona. I walked the property where the columbarium was to be located and began to create the garden in my mind. I saw that the church would be in the background. I imagined sitting on a tree-shaded bench in the garden surrounded by winding paths on the gently sloping hillside in the midst of native plant life. A view of mountain vistas would create a peaceful oasis for visitors to linger, to meditate, and to pray.
The Columbarium structures would be in the form of large boulders, each containing 45 niches for cremated human remains and faced with engraved granite nameplates.
Returning to my studio with a set of architect's plans I was ready to "create" the garden on a large sheet of watercolor paper.
In April of 2005 the construction began. The dedication of the Prayer Garden was Sunday, April 9, 2006. The painting hangs in the vestibule of the church. In a few days I will post a picture of the actual garden as it looks today.










1 comment:

CathyR said...

Marilyn what a beautiful painting. It looks like a lovely place to sit and pray. I was fondly remembering Shepherd of the Hills last week.