May 25, 2009

Ted Nuttall's Workshop

I was fortunate to be able to attend Ted Nuttall's Watercolor Workshop the week of April 6, 2009. Spending the week at Scottsdale Artists' School in Arizona, was like coming home.

I began my studies with Ted back in 2001 when I lived in Fountain Hills, AZ. He was a new instructor at Scottsdale Artist's School teaching figurative watercolors from photographs. Ted keenly observes people and brings them to life right in front of our eyes as he intuitively places each stroke of color on the paper. He would begin each day with interesting stories about his paintings, perhaps a slide presentation, and always a fascinating demonstration. I would sit in awe watching him paint and hang on his every word as he shared his thoughts and explained the process. I learn best by watching; I really didn't care if I worked at my easel.

I continued to study with Ted for several years and used vintage photographs of my parents and grandmother as reference. I added grandchildren and uncle to my "gallery." I also like to paint jazz musicians and if you check my first posts on this blog you will see some of my early paintings.

Ted now teaches watercolor workshops throughout the country. Visit his website, Tednuttall.com to view his award winning paintings. He remains true to his style and his demonstrations continue to be spellbinding. Ted generously shares his knowledge of art and his philosophy of life.

In this photo I am working on a painting of my son, Gregg. As you see, the hands are yet unpainted . Hands are difficult and I procrastinated as long as I could. You will see the finished painting on my next post.

No comments: