June 28, 2008

First Words in the Morning

First thing every morning my Uncle Carl would get his daily newspaper and, with the help of his dictionary, would work on the daily crossword puzzle. At the same time his friend Melba would be diligently filling in the words on her copy of the puzzle. At an appointed time, the phone would ring and Uncle Carl and Melba would compare notes and most likely complete the puzzle of the day. At least once a year we would fly to Pittsburgh and stay with Uncle Carl. I took a picture of him working his puzzle; I thought it interesting that the shirt he wore that day had the initials TN on it. Those were the initials of his older brother, Tom Noll. Each time I look at this painting I think of Uncle Carl and Dad!

2 comments:

Susan Carlin said...

I'm so inspired that you've made such beautiful paintings of people in your family. This one is so loose and so detailed, all at once. Beautiful!

Sharon said...

My mother definitely captured her uncle's character in this painting. I think it's because she paints from her heart and her soul ... not just her hand and her head. :-)