June 15, 2008

My Brother's Sunflower


My little brother, Tom, was very small for his age. I was big sister and as children I remember him holding my hand and looking up to me. Tom planted a sunflower seed in my Mother's flower bed in front of our dining room window. His sunflower grew so tall it towered above his head reminding us of the childhood story of "Jack and the Beanstalk". Several years ago I painted this picture as a birthday gift to Tom and wrote this poem expressing my love for him.


My Brother's Sunflower...

a symbol of light, hope and innocence


ROLE REVERSAL


You are my sunshine, my only sunshine;
You make me happy when skies are gray.
I'm sure you know, Tom, how much I love you;
No one will ever take that away.

The other night, dear, while I was sleeping
I dreamt I held you by the hand.
My little brother grew like his sunflower,
Towering far above my head.

You're my big brother, I'm little sister.
And now I'm standing by your side.
Your arms enfold me; they're reaching downward
and I look up to see your eyes.








3 comments:

Susan Carlin said...

Ohhhh this was wonderful to read and see the lovely painting you did of your "little" brother. Thank you.

Marilyn Moore said...

We moved here to be with Tom and grow old together. Sadly, he passed away six months later. I always wanted a sister but said I would not trade him for all the sisters in the world!

Sharon said...

The painting ... along with the poem ... made me cry. You two shared a love that most siblings can't even begin to fathom.