June 15, 2008

Yesterdays

This is my beautiful Mother, Ida. My reference for this painting was a studio portrait in sepia tones. Dad married Ida Eckberg, a blond Swedish girl from Irwin, Pennsylvania. This photo was probably taken when they were first married in 1927. Until I was born 10 years later Mom would often travel with Dad and the band. She told us how she would work as a hat check girl or a cigarette girl in the clubs where the band was playing.

I can picture her in this flapper outfit out on the dance floor doing the Charleston. She had the most beautiful legs.


This painting hangs by my piano. She loved to listen while I played.
watercolor 15x22

3 comments:

Susan Carlin said...

How wonderful that you've painted all these family photos.. and honored each family member by your beautiful paintings. Thank you for sharing a little story to go along with it.

Anonymous said...

As an Irwin girl of Swedish descent, I enjoy hearing the story behind your Mother's painting. Thanks Marilyn. My Dad played the saxiphone during the same period. As we get to know each other better, we find more in common. Are we related?

Marilyn Moore said...

This is when I would like to be able to have a heart to heart talk with Mom and Dad. I wouldn't be surprised if our Dads knew each other in the music business and our Moms knew each other at the Swedish Lutheran Church.